Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Our first meeting was a wonderful success

We had our first ever meeting of independent media advocates at the home of one of our members. I think I can speak for all of us when I say it was better than we could have imagined. I've set up a listserv through riseup.net to benefit our activities, and thanks to google, we have this excellent resource to use as well.

Summary of tonight's meeting:


We met, had introductions, talked some about reclaimthemedia.org and their list of Northwest community radio stations. Then we made a list of which types of media were available to us, and discussed each in some detail. Among the media we selected were: public radio, public access TV, Agitprop (or guerilla art), low-power FM, blogs (like this one), web radio, and many more.

We each resolved to try to get one or more people to come with us to the next meeting, as well as to think about what sort of presentations should be given at the Independent Media Conference this September. I mentioned that I thought we should give thought to making the final piece a big show with some notables in the field, an idea that wasn't universally accepted. We shall soon see exactly what our efforts will produce. I am confident that we will achieve something great, exactly what, I'm not sure.

I will begin making categories for the blog that match the categories of media we discussed.

See you in two weeks!

Categories:
Announcements

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home