Thursday, August 17, 2006

Michelle's August Update

Hello, media activists.

Seems like we’ve all been taking a break from the list-serve – hopefully so that we can do the work at hand. The clock is ticking.

I’ll ask and propose a few things in this email. I am almost certainly missing something, but to get the ball rolling:

* Jeff had an idea for video/tv monitors in the lobby. That is a stellar idea – if it can be done for free. Who will organize that endeavor?
* Ross – are we confirmed that someone will be in the IBEW Labor Hall next Wednesday at 7:00 so that we can have our meeting there and take a look at the joint? Do you need to pass that phone call off?
* I haven’t heard from anyone with changes or modifications to Tom’s original statement regarding the Progressive Media conference idea. As you may or may not know, I’m on the Board of League of Women Voters, and they have responded favorably to my request to put a blurb about the event in their next two mass mailings: The Voter, September 1st and October 1st (ish). I’m attaching the article I wrote for The Voter, and I suggest we either “ratify” or immediately change the third paragraph of it and then use it as our tag-line. The article has to be submitted right away for print deadline, so no comments back by the early afternoon means it goes as is. That doesn’t mean we can’t modify it over the next few days as a group for group use, but this sucker has to get to the League. If we can agree to a “print-blurb” before the meeting, I’ll print a butt-load of them up and bring them.
* Pat nailed down the ACLU endorsement. Are there any others confirmed that I can include right now in The Voter article?
* Speaking of publishing: Jeff and Marilyn, do you have a draft on a flier that you can share with us yet?
* I’m also attaching an updated outreach plan, where the biggest change is I’ve inserted media submission deadlines. The thing is still woefully empty and I’m not going to accept any more responsibility for contacts. You can see I have assumed a lot already. Please take a hard look at it and call me or email with more contact commitment.
* I also propose that the anchors of the group send around a very brief outline of their portion of the conference. Then at meeting next week we can brainstorm to fill any holes if someone needs help or inspiration.
* PRESSING: We need to agree to or bag a “key-note” speaker.
* PRESSING: We need firm commitments from speakers per mode.
* PRESSING: We need to outline our event (more solidly than is in my notes, at any rate).
* PRESSING: We need fliers.
* PRESSING: We need a consistent message statement to start making our outreach with.
* PRESSING: We need to start our outreach.
* NEXT MONTH: We’ll need to plan and fund the event itself.
* NEXT MONTH: We’ll need to go CRAZY on the outreach. Buzz is what makes these things happen big.
* NEXT MONTH: We can clear up any lingering concerns about money/donations, etc.


I know we’re all particularly interested in hearing from the media anchors with their program plans and successes. And we’re here to help if you’re hitting a wall – sooner is better than later! Hoping to hear from folks, and in haste….Michelle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home